What are designer drugs?
Designer drugs are structural analogues of controlled drugs. These types of designer drugs which are used solely for research purposes and scientific studies are called research chemicals/legal highs. Discovery and designing of new analogues of legally controlled drugs are fundamental to scientific and medical development. Generally, designer drugs are developed through molecular modification of existing chemical compounds while keeping in the mind that the impact or effect of the drug is not compromised.
Examples of designer drugs
- Benzofurans: 5-MeO-DiBF, 5-APB, 5-MeO-Benzofuranethanamine and others
- Phenethylamines: 3C-E, Isoproscaline, Methallylescaline, etc.
- DOx family of psychedelics: DOB, DOC, DOI, TMA-2, DON, etc.
- Arylcyclohexylamines: 3-MeO-PCE, Methoxyeticyclidine, 3-MeO-PCMo, 3-MeO-PCP, etc.
- Amphetamines: 4-Bromoamphetamine, 4-Methylamphetamine, 4-Methylthioamphetamine, etc.
- Cathinones: 2-CMC, 2-Fluoromethcathinone, 2-MMC, 2-FMC, 3,4-DMNEB, etc.
Designer Drugs Discovery
- The field of new drug design or you can say analogues is constantly evolving, with the incorporation of new techniques and tools. New technologies are revolutionizing the designer drug development process.
- Today scientists who design drugs use powerful computers and computational chemistry and employing scientific processes for the design and development of new drugs.
- They use X-ray crystallography, nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, and three-dimensional quantitative structure activity relationship analysis for virtual modeling of new compounds.
- Rational drug design becomes easier with drug analogues discovery as targets are known and structural modification can help to find out new alternatives for existing ones. High-throughput screening is used to test potential targets with chemical compounds to find correct drug-target combination.
- Sophisticated screening technologies are used to identify more efficacious and cost-effective designer drugs or legal highs, while minimizing drug development time and costs.
A lot of designer drugs have been produced so far, which are derivatives of existing compounds. One thing that makes these compounds valuable in the scientific community is that they can be used by researchers for conducting experiments. They are easily available at online stores at affordable prices. As a scientist, you can buy legal highs or research chemicals or designer drugs of high quality and purity from online vendors for your research purposes.