Introduction to Research Chemicals
Research chemical is a term applied to a broad variety of synthetic drugs that are implicitly sold for use in scientific and medical research purposes. One main characteristic of research chemicals is that it is only used for laboratory research; it is not intended for human or veterinary use. Since the chemicals are marketed & sold for legitimate purposes (i.e. not for human consumption) their distribution does not necessarily contravene legal drug laws.
Types of Research Chemicals
This class of drug extremely covers a diverse chemical space. A wide range of chemical compounds come under the term ‘research chemical.
- Stimulants: Stimulants are psychoactive drugs that induce temporary improvements in mental or physical functions. Some of the chemicals that come under stimulant category include Methylone, MDPV, PMA and Pentedrone to name a few.
- Psychedelics: A psychedelic drug’s primary action is to alter cognition and perception. Well known psychedelics include LSD, mescaline, DOB, and ALD-52.
- Cannabinoids: Cannabinoids are a class of diverse chemical compounds that act on cannabinoid receptors in cells that repress neurotransmitter release in the brain. The most notable cannabinoids are naphthoylindoles, benzoylindoles, and phenylacetylindoles.
- Dissociatives: Dissociatives are a class of hallucinogen, which can produce sedation, respiratory depression, analgesia, anesthesia, and ataxia. Examples of Dissociatives are Methoxetamine and 2-MeO-ketamine.
- Sedatives: Sedatives are a diverse group of drugs manufactured for medical purposes to relax the central nervous system. Some of the well-known sedatives are methonitazene and 7-acetoxymitragynine.
Uses of Research Chemicals
Research chemicals are essential in the development of novel pharmacotherapies and medicines for chronic diseases. Common medical laboratory uses of research chemicals include toxicology testing by research organisations to determine the safety of drugs, in vivo testing by scientists to determine therapeutic value of a drug, and analysis by drug testing labs for the purposes of evaluating human exposure. Scientists can buy research chemicals online from reliable suppliers of high-quality and pure forms of research chemicals for their laboratory purposes.
Introduction to Legal Highs
Legal Highs is a term given to chemical substances that are used for research purposes but are not regulated as a medicine (Medicines Act 1968). Legal Highs are also known as New Psychoactive Substances, which are designed to be similar chemically and/or pharmacologically to known specific controlled drugs. The laws surrounding legal highs are complex, keep changing constantly, and differ between states/countries, but in general they are used for scientific purposes.
Types of Legal Highs
Legal Highs can be described using three main categories:
- Stimulants: Stimulants such as amphetamines can bring temporary changes in the mental and physical activities.
- Sedatives: Sedatives such as Benzodiazepines can relax or slow down the reactions of the central nervous system.
- Psychedelics: Psychedelics such as NBOMe drugs can create altered perceptions and change in mental functions.
Uses of Legal Highs
There has been little or no research into different strengths and effects of legal highs, so they can be used by research scholars and scientists for scientific experiment to determine its effects on different disease or conditions. Legal highs can also be purchased online from trusted suppliers of legal highs and research chemicals.
Although both legal highs and research chemicals fall under the same umbrella term that is used to describe a wide range of substances created to be chemically or pharmacologically similar to controlled drugs, however, there are certain differences governing the laws surrounding them and the type of chemicals that come under these two categories. Great advancements in the field of medicine and research have been possible due to the availability of greater varieties of research chemicals and legal highs online.